Monday 16 March 2009

Andy Export Top 15 Albums



1. Never Mind The Bollocks by The Sex Pistols- It's the first one to spring to mind because it really did change my life. Bought the album...cut my hair...started to write songs instead of poetry. I was 15 years old...a good impressionable age, I guess.
2. New Boots and Panties by Ian Dury and the Blockheads- I was astonished that such a raggedy bunch of misfits could produce such a beautiful sound. Every track a winner.
3. Tanx- T.Rex- I always loved Bolan...and although most people who know me would expect me to go for Electric Warrior or Futuristic Dragon...I'm plumping for Tanx. Such charm.
4. Kimono My House by Sparks- This album definitely shook me out of my slumber. Amazing vocals...wicked lyrics...stunning harmonies...it had the lot. If this band didn't exist...I'd have to invent them
5. The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths- My favourite Smiths album. Dark...but sarcastic. Extremely well produced...with just the right shade and light.
6. The Holy Bible by The Manic Street Preachers- The last album with Richie before he disappeared(still missing after 15 years) and for my money...their best...by a country mile. Uncomfortable listening for non-Manic fans...that's why I love it.
7. Dirk Wears White Sox by Adam and the Ants- Just a wonderful album of delicious little dark ditties
8. Black and White by the Stranglers- The men in black at their ballsy best...in my opinion. I'm such a fan of every element...bass/vocals/drums/keys/guitar...each part unique
9.Diamond Dogs by David Bowie- The title track alones justifies this inclusion. Bowie on top form
10. The Human Menagerie by Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel- Some of the vocal inflection on this album is incredible. Great, dark, swirling masterpiece
11. Tubeway Army by Tubeway Army- I know it's not the greatest produced album in the world but there are some nice songs..from which I took a great deal of inspiration. Fascinating, for me, cos I'd heard a load of Numan demos...with guitars...and this highlights his transtition to synths and shit....playing with the same melodies.
12. Piper at the Gates of Dawn by Pink Floyd- Syd Barrett had the most beautiful way with construction and delivery. Effortless...dreamy....but manic at the same time. Tragic
13. The White Album by The Beatles- I could go for Sgt Peppers but my over-riding sense and appreciation of chaos wins the day. Messy...chaotic...spikey...mishy-mashy....genius.
14. London Calling by The Clash- The energy in this had me jumping up and down for ages. If albums grew legs this one would walk to China...with a Fridge-Freezer strapped to it's back.
15. Fegmania by Robyn Hitchcock- I could have chosen any of a clutch of RH albums. I'm constantly inspired by his collection of work. Brilliance...with huge dollops of wit.

That's my lot. I've already realised that I've missed The Kinks...and The Buzzcocks...and Elvis Presley...and I'll no doubt think of tons more once I've posted this. Sorry...got to have another.

15 and a half (what a cheat) Even Serpents Shine by The Only Ones- One of my favourite ever albums. Listening to The Only Ones is like injecting a lorry-load of misery into your bloodstream...but fkn rocks.
Updated on Friday · Comment · LikeUnlike
You, Jeremy Rowling, Kevin Spice and Valerie Paty like this.
Jeremy Rowling, Kevin Spice and Valerie Paty like this.
Rio Fraser at 08:20 on 14 March
nice job Andles. I am working on mine. Not an easy list. I have to extract some real favourites and even add some horrors!
xx
Sean Lowndes at 09:10 on 14 March
random.........
the bends -radio head
r.a.t.m -r.a.t.m.
never mind the bollox heres the sex pistols- sex pistols
joshua tree -u2
the wall pink floyd
ok computor - radio head
wish you were here- pink floyd
only by the night- kings of leon
led zepllin 4- led zepllin
sabbath bloody sabbath- black sabbath
back in black - ac/dc
stranger than fiction - bad religion
system of a down - system of a down
imflamible materiel - stiff little fingers
in the flatfiel - bauhaus

so many more albums but can not seperate verve - urban hyms not enough choices andy.
Jeremy Rowling at 09:34 on 14 March
see, by the time i've figured mine out this post will be lost in the void of new facebook!
Sean Lowndes at 15:09 on 14 March
not even put ten by pearl jam.....god this is hard
Rio Fraser at 02:07 on 15 March
I like how you have manged to get the blame for this "note" ;-p
who sent it to you?
Jeremy Rowling at 14:55 on 15 March
The Specials, The Specials
You and me both, Yazoo
Slave to the grind, Skid Row
The Circus, Erasure
Holywood, Marilyn Manson
Little Earthquakes, Tori Amos
Slippery When Wet, Bon Jovi
Ten, Pearl Jam
Drops of Jupiter, Train
Stoosh, Skunk Anansie
Singles, Alison Moyet,
Jagged little pill, Alanis morrisette
August and everything after, Counting Crows
Let your dim light shine, Soul Asylum
Appetite for Destruction, Guns 'n' Roses

i have no idea how to cut/paste/send to others though
Andy Fraser at 18:18 on 15 March
I'll do it later lol
You got some varied taste there...lots of warbly girl singers...including Andy Bell
Jeremy Rowling at 09:30 on 16 March
well, i wouldnt still listen to all of them, its the affect they had on me at the time that is important, can i do another 15 now as i feel i missed so many out.
Andy Fraser at 12:00 on 16 March
Of course you can .Go to your "notes" Copy and paste the intro only(think of 15 albums" etc)..or type it out manually. List your choices....then tag 15 friends...and press "publish"
No Girls Aloud though...that's the only rule
Write a comment...

No comments:

Post a Comment